Monday, May 4, 2009

Tender Heart

Today I watched "Where The Red Fern Grows" with the boys. I thought they would like it because they are anxiously awaiting the puppy they have been promised when we move. I also have fond memories of reading the book as a kid.

I forgot how sad it was though. As we watched Old Dan die, I was watching the reaction on Connor's face. He was so taken back by it. He just quietly sat there. He asked if Dan would die. I told him yes. Then tears rolled down his face. He hid his head in my lap and said, "I don't like this show!" He had just about recovered when Little Ann past away. And then he got mad. "She died because no one would feed her!"

What I thought was a touching movie my kids would like turned out to be very poignant to me. I saw that gentle, yet masculine side of my, to this point, very tough little boy. The red fern and its symbolism just didn't sooth him. He said he would never watch that again.

Later, I tried to coax him to tell Kyle about it. He said, "It is too sad to talk about." He had the same reaction when I tried to get him to tell Grandma.

I hope I didn't scar him for life! I love my Connor!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I remember watching that in Kindergarten and I cried and cried. I have never watched it since and I still don't like sad movies very much but I think I turned out ok! :-)